Does Jardiance Cause Weight Loss?
Jardiance (Empagliflozin) might assist type 2 diabetes patients in losing weight while taking this drug. Jardiance is not approved by the FDA for people who do not have type 2 diabetes. If you want to know does Jardiance cause weight loss, keep reading further.
What is Jardiance used for?
Jardiance is a brand-name drug useful for treating type 2 diabetes mellitus. This medication can be taken orally in the form of a tablet. Patients take one tablet in a day and can be used together with diet and exercise.
The active constituent present in Jardiance is Empagliflozin. It belongs to a class of medications called SGLT2 or sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors. Jardiance acts by assisting the kidneys in removing sugar from the body.
In type 2 diabetes patients, a person’s body fails to make use of insulin in a proper way. This results in more production of glucose by the body and may cause high blood glucose levels. The medication is not useful for treating type 1 diabetes. If you want to know does Jardiance cause weight loss, keep reading further.
Jardiance tablets comes in 2 dosage strengths: 10 mg and 25 mg. Characteristically, the concerned doctor might start the patient on a low dosage. Then they might make dose adjustments gradually to reach the quantity appropriate for him or her. Starting dosage is 10 mg once every morning. And, the maximum dosage is 25 mg once every morning.
Jardiance is generally taken one time in the morning with or without food. A person must take Jardiance at the same time daily to maintain an even level of the drug in the blood. Read more to know does Jardiance cause weight loss.
Jardiance Side Effects:
Jardiance is generally well-tolerated in type 2 diabetics. Yet, as with all medications, there are important side effects, patients must review with the concerned doctor.
Common side effects may include yeast infections or urinary tract infections. Some serious side effects may include dehydration, urinary tract infections, allergic reactions, low levels of blood sugar, increased cholesterol levels, increased ketones in blood or urine). If you want to know does Jardiance cause weight loss, keep reading further.
What drugs interact with Jardiance?
Jardiance can show interactions with vitamins, drugs or herbs that a person is consuming that may alter the way a medication is meant to work or cause harm. Jardiance may be used in combination with other anti-diabetics (i.e., metformin, insulin sulfonylurea).
However, the dosage might require a reduction since Jardiance works to lower a person’s blood sugar levels. Also, know does Jardiance cause weight loss.
It is important to discuss with the doctor about all supplements, herbs, vitamins or drugs that are being used and discuss if there is an opportunity of any drug interactions. Read more to know does Jardiance cause weight loss.
Who can take Jardiance?
Jardiance might be right for patients with:
- High Blood Pressure: Jardiance might enhance the risk of low blood pressure if a person consumes blood pressure drugs, already have low blood pressure, or have had it in the past.
- Type 2 Diabetes: By eliminating too much of sugar from the body via urine, Jardiance aids in improving glycemic control among type 2 diabetic patients. This may cause improved HbA1c levels, which may lower down the risk of diabetes-associated complications. The concerned doctor can then determine whether Jardiance is safe for the person or if another treatment might be better.
- Obese people: Also, as calories in glucose are removed from a person’s body, weight loss may take place with usage of Jardiance. As type 2 diabetes is closely related to weight – nearly 90% of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes patients are above their ideal weight – this is useful to maintain a healthy weight. Jardiance can be used as part of a treatment plan, also it is vital to maintain other aspects, including physical exercise, in combination with Jardiance treatment. If you want to know does Jardiance cause weight loss, keep reading further.
What happens if you stop taking Jardiance?
Jardiance is not addictive, and an individual cannot experience typical withdrawal signs when they stop taking it. However, an individual might experience disagreeable Jardiance withdrawal if they stop taking this drug too quickly and without the direction of their doctor. Know more about does Jardiance cause weight loss in the further article.
Does Jardiance cause weight loss?
Jardiance Weight Loss:
Jardiance results in weight loss. A stable weight can be maintained by balancing food consumption, calories, and energy expenditure, like while exercising. In type 2 diabetes, too much of calories, in the form of sugar, may cause deposition of fat around the internal body organs like the liver and pancreas, or in muscle tissue. The key goal of diabetic weight loss is to increase the loss of body fat while reducing the loss of lean tissue like muscle.
There is some inconsistency in relation to the amount of SGLT2 inhibitor-induced weight loss found in research studies. Data shows a 5.5- to 8.82-pound weight loss in people over the course of a 104-week trial.
Usually, in practice it is seen that there is a weight loss of around 4-8 pounds on average. While 4-8 pounds might not appear like a considerable amount of weight loss, it is vital to note that as per the ADA, every 2 pounds of weight loss is related to a significant decrease in the possibility of developing to type 2 diabetes. For type 2 diabetic patients, even modest decrease in weight has significant health benefits apart from improving blood sugar levels.
Also, it is vital to understand that the weight loss variability seen among patients in studies cannot be fully described by the effects of Jardiance alone. Other factors that may add to weight loss may involve genetic predisposition, diet, and exercise routine and frequency.
How Jardiance works for weight loss?
Jardiance is an oral antihyperglycemic drug with a unique working of reducing blood sugar levels independent of the insulin effects. Sodium-glucose cotransporters are accountable for glucose reabsorption in the kidney. SGLT2 inhibitors like Jardiance, inhibit these transporters, hence too much of sugar fails to get reabsorbed into the bloodstream and is removed out via urine. This working is accountable for exceptional Jardiance side effects.
Also, Jardiance is not an appetite suppressant. That is, the medication does not make one feel less hungry. In its place, SGLT2 inhibitors support an average of 75 g of glucose excretion in the urine per day, which is roughly 300 excess calories. A loss of 300 calories daily might cause a little over one pound of weight loss per week.
Who can take Jardiance for weight loss?
Jardiance has been approved by the FDA as a supplement to diet and exercise for people with Type 2 diabetes. The starting dosage of the drug is 10 mg, while the dosage of Jardiance can be increased to 25 mg taken once daily for an extra blood sugar control in people who have been tolerating the medication well.
There are no research studies that describe the off-label use of Jardiance for weight loss. Yet, with obesity having an effect on up to 500 million individuals worldwide, and only 7 medications approved by the FDA to treat obesity, doctors have been turning to off-label drug use for their patients. Up until more drugs are approved for chronic use, doctors would likely carry on recommending any drugs that might be useful for their patients in need.
While an uncertain weight loss might be statistically significant to make better the health status, it is generally far from satisfactory to meet the overall requirements of many people who need or want to lose weight.
If Jardiance is utilized off-label for weight loss, it is vital to follow medical guidance and be aware of the side effects while using this drug. Because of the possible side effects, the FDA suggests that Jardiance must not be used or must be used with care in people with the following conditions:
Type 1 diabetes (might enhance the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis)
- Reduced renal function
- At risk for dehydration
- Allergy to the drug or to any components of the drug
- Are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or are lactating.
Is it possible to lose weight on taking a combination of Jardiance and Metformin?
It is possible to lose weight while consuming Jardiance and Metformin. In a 24-week trial with over 600 participants, Jardiance was used as a combination therapy with metformin and was proven to considerably improve weight loss in the study.
Also, the study found that weight loss was statistically significant when Jardiance was used with metformin and a sulfonylurea in a clinical trial study that was carried over a 24-week period.
Some of the effective Jardiance alternative are given below:
- Glucophage (Metformin): Biguanide
- Januvia: Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor
- Victoza (Liraglutide): Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) agonist
- Trulicity: Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) agonist
- Byetta: Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) agonist
Which is better Jardiance or Ozempic?
- Jardiance is an oral medication that may be used to lower blood sugar or reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease in some people with type 2 diabetes or heart failure alongside other medications, dietary changes, and exercise. It is associated with an increased risk of infections, low blood pressure, and diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Ozempic lowers blood sugar levels by mimicking the effects of GLP-1, a naturally occurring hormone that stimulates insulin secretion and lowers glucagon secretion from the liver. It is self-administered by subcutaneous injection once a week and may be used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Common side effects include low blood sugar levels, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Prescribed for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction, Diabetes – Type 2.
How long does it take for Jardiance to start working ?
Jardiance starts to work in about 30 to 60 minutes. But when you first start taking the drug, it might take a few days to several weeks to manage your blood sugar levels. Your doctor will monitor your treatment progress and adjust your Jardiance dosage if needed.
How to avoid yeast infections on Jardiance?
- Choose loose-fitting cotton garments instead of synthetic fabrics.
- Keep genital area dry and maintain good hygiene.
- Also, keep blood sugar levels in check.
You may not always be able to prevent a yeast infection, but treatment is usually very quick and effective.
Why is Jardiance so expensive?
Jardiance is only available as a brand medication and no generic versions are available. Hence, it is an expensive medication.
When to take Jardiance?
Jardiance is recommended to be taken once a day usually in the morning.
What happens if you take Jardiance at night?
Due to the blood sugar reducing effect of Jardiance, it might make the patient urinate more often than normal. Hence, it should not be taken in the night.
How fast does Jardiance work?
Jardiance begins to act in approximately 30 to 60 minutes in the body.
When does Jardiance go generic?
There is recently a patent granted to Boehringer Ingelheim, Jardiance manufacturer, which involves drug exclusivity until February 24, 2025.
Why can’t Jardiance be cut in half?
The Jardiance manufacturer mentions that the tablets must be swallowed whole, and must not be cut, split, crushed or divided.
What does Jardiance do for diabetics?
Jardiance is a SGLT2 inhibitor and inhibits the reabsorption of blood sugar by the kidneys, enhancing the excretion of sugar in urine, and reducing the glucose levels in diabetics.
Does Jardiance reduce blood pressure?
Yes, Jardiance decreases blood pressure by increasing urination. Urination moves fluid out of the body. This may cause dehydration (low fluids in the body) and low blood pressure.
Does Jardiance cause weight loss?
There is no approved Jardiance dose for weight loss. The change from 10 mg to 25 mg must not be made to increase or support weight loss but only to safely lower high blood glucose in some people.
- Is Rybelsus good for Weight loss? Drug info & Reviews
- 4 Steps to Manage Your Diabetes for Life
- Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes – 15 Minutes to Read